DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
Printer friendly version of: http://www.foreign-policy-dialogue.ca/en/discussion/index.php?m=3143

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Root Causes

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 00:19:33

So you are saying that CBC News should have run the Bastard comments in times of war?

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Root Causes

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-17 02:27:05

Why not? The goal of news is to report the facts whatever they are. I'm totally against censorship.

Reply to this message

Root Causes

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 16:30:26

I'm against censorship, but does a liberal party member (Carolyn) have a right to a private opinion without it been placed on the Canadian National news?

Particularly when a war is imminent, is the Bastard comment relevant? Is there no consideration at the CBC on how these types of comments would be used in Baghdad propaganda, a place where allied troops were working to convince Iraqis to trust them?

It is another burden to deal with during negotiations when your “friends” are calling you Morons and Bastards…. No?

Reply to this message

Root Causes

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-18 08:33:54

"I'm against censorship, but does a liberal party member (Carolyn) have a right to a private opinion without it been placed on the Canadian National news? "

But thats not the problem of the CBC, thats the problem of the MP which was overheard, no? She should have kept the comment to herself, or at least to the caucus(is this the right word in English?), but since she said it publicly, then it should be reported as such... News should give the facts, even though these facts might be quite bad!

Reply to this message

Visit us online at: http://www.foreign-policy-dialogue.ca