DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: Roberge

Date: 2003-02-04 19:54:18

Well, if it can comfort you, all Canadians don't feel anti-American.

I consider myself an American. I feel more passionate about the American elections than the Canadian ones.

I completely agree with you except for one thing, when you say "Our country has a distinctly different history and culture from the US." I think we are not that much different and that all that stuff about "being different" serves only patriotism and the interests of the Canadian establishment; I think it's a mental construction that doesn't reflects the reality.

I think, however, that being an American also means not to conduct ourselves like citizens of a banana republic. That's where I diverge from former Minister of Foreign Affairs John Manley. He sometimes made me looked as if I belonged to the adverse side (Anti-American) because he looked so much as if he were saying "yes, yes, yes" to the Americans -- it's not for nothing that he has been chosen Canadian of the year by a famous American magazine last year. Among themselves, Americans, let's take for instance, reps or governors of U.S. states never behave like heads of banana states.

I feel more and more like an integrationist. I think that as a woman I don’t have any interest to promote patriotism because patriotism is usually, if not always, promoted on the back of women, for instance by using them to push demographics up. Countries are then in a competition among themselves to have the largest population or not to fall behind. And with the problem of global demographics, I think, it’s also bad for the environment.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-02-05 09:47:36

Roberge,
Your point is very important and interesting:

Patriotism is a dangerous and destructive force in international affairs.

I also think we Canadians have a lot in common with Americans and our histories are as close as two nations get.

We do act like we are from a Banana Republic on both sides of the approach: toadying yes-folk versus knee-jerk reactionaries.

Reply to this message

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: Roberge

Date: 2003-02-09 15:02:09

In reference to my previous message, and to follow up, I have one suggestion to make to Mr. Manley. Why not negociate to get two observor's seats at the Congress, one for the Senate and one for the Reps. It would assure us a presence in the inner cirle of Washington that no other State has. To have a direct presence is one of the most important thing to ensure the success of our links with the U.S., and nearer this presence is, better it is, and if we can be directly inside the circle, let's do it. Every other country, including France, will die of envy. That's the thing to do.(Oh, and I’m sure Mr. Pettigrew, minister of International Trade, won’t disagree.)

Reply to this message