DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

The answers are not serious!!

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-02-17 04:56:12

I've been reading the different answers to the questions which were asked by the minister (I'm not talking about the discussion groups), and I'm quite disappointed.

About 40% of the answers are not at all serious (I would even say those people did not even read the document that was proposed before answering!)... Its even worst in the Francophone section!!

I may be harsh, but when i read answers which *only* relate to current issues (such as Irak), or answers which *only* concentrate on one region (Tawain?) and nothing else, i ask myself - is this a review of foreign policy as a whole, or a forum for pressure groups??

I just hope the people behind this review will be able to discern the answers and forge themselves a good opinion.

Reply to this message

At least the answers are there

Contributor: ninja

Date: 2003-02-28 16:52:23

I think the answers presented in this foreign policy dialogue note a lack of understanding, among the general population, of the meaning of Canadian Foreign Policy.

Foreign Affairs policies have only recently emmerged in the everyday world. They used to be reserved for the elites of this country.

The answers propose here are maybe not serious, but there are cleary necessary for the Government to adopt a more inclusive approach to foreign policy

Reply to this message

At least the answers are there

Date: 2003-03-02 07:42:19

I agree with you that for the general populace Foreign Affairs was out of reach for most people. I agree that dialogue will help out a lot. And I've noticed that now most answers i read are much more objective and balanced... So I`m getting more happy! And i`m even finding out that most of the people have the same views as me!

But one month ago, i could immediately guess by reading the answers, the ethnic background of the person who answered! (That is not normal in my mind!)...

Reply to this message

Contributor: jariax

Date: 2003-03-18 15:14:04

My apologies,

I misunderstood the purpose of the site, I haven't even read the paper. I will do so post haste and respond to the questions therein.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-19 13:08:06

That is not a problem! Anyways the discussion groups have drifted towards speaking almost exclusively about Iraq now. But the answer section is quite reesonable now! :)

But there is a more serious problem here
(that i hope the moderators will take into account!) - I'm seeing more and more people discussing Canadian foreign policy while they are not even Canadian!
I think they did a mistake in not asking us for a kind of 'proof' of citizenship when we registered! (Our Social Insurance Number? Our city, etc?)

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-31 13:26:41

Here we go at it again, the latest answers to the questions (not talking about the discussion groups!) on foreign policy are being invaded by people who are against and for the war on Iraq!

Maybe the moderators should clearly state that the answers to the questions are on foreign policy as a whole, and not the current world events...

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-10 05:39:44

Once again in the Francophone section - one person in particular has atracted my attention (#1276) - someone who particularly doesn't like Canada. Why did the moderators actually post anything that he wrote - none of it was related to Foreign policy ...

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-10 13:43:08

I can't find his/her comments.

I want to see what #1276 is saying because I hope you are not telling me that because people like me are very critical of how our government betrayed our values that we do not like Canada.

Don't get me wrong, I never thought for a second that you were suggesting this to me. But I want to see what you consider "doesn't like Canada".

Reply to this message