DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

The Three Pillars

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Beyond policies and ideals

Contributor: Vox

Date: 2003-02-25 20:33:55

As the old saying goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". I like your basic intentions but I believe you confuse your prejudices with the critical nature of current issues and the wisdom of being "open" to people.

I agree it is arguably attractive to develop a multipolar international arena (as Chirac and Gaullism favour) but I disagree with the manner in which some people try to achieve this. Like Chirac, some people seem to take any opportunity to grandstand this ideal, regardless of the more important issues at hand. This makes for hideously distorted decisions in the name of distant ideals or some prejudice we hold (e.g. Canadian Anti-Americanism) or some delusion of grandeur we hide behind (e.g. Gaullist France).

Canada does not have to (and should not) support the US on all issues just because it supports the US in coercing Iraq to disarm at the risk of conflict. If we cannot discuss issues with other countries based primarily on the merits of the issues then we should not be surprised if countries treat all of our intentions with great suspicion. It is one thing to express logical differences in national interest but basing foreign policy on broadly rigid principles of dislike for another country is essentially religion, and religion is deadly when mixed with politics and international relations.

There is also very little evidence the US is imperialistic. Its tendency has traditionally been isolationist. While it may only see democratic institutions as replacements for disagreeable regimes no one can say for sure if there are better alternatives or have better expertise (or will) to help struggling countries organize themselves under other viable frameworks. The arguably undesirable fate of Canada one day becoming part of a greater USA has nothing to do with Iraq and should not be tied to decisions regarding it.

Finally, I should mention that a multipolar world order has existed many, many times in history, usually ending in major wars between those countries. I don't have to go into details on Japan, France, Britain, Spain, USSR/Russia, Austria-Hungary, Germany...etc. The US has only participated in major wars reluctantly. So I think history is not really a useful way to pre-judge US intentions by. IMO, it is far more effective to base our foreign policies on understanding how Canada's actions may be viewed by the US and other countries as well as why the current issues mean so much to the US and the EU. When I look at things that way, I can justify the US positions but I cannot justify France and Germany's. It seemed ironic to me that the French PM Raffarin would mock Bush for "plyaing games" because he used the phrase "the games is over (for Saddam)". It seemed to me that Chirac is really the one who is playing games at the moment.

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-07 02:51:41

I do not like the way Bush thinks the laws do not apply to him or the USA. It seems that since the USSR has crumbled and there is no balancing power; the USA has taken it upon themselves to control world situations to suit themselves. These world conflicts could have been more amicably handled by the United Nations. Granted they did have a right to strike back at he terrorists that attacked the World Trade buildings; but their actions went much further, There were far too many innocent targets, including our own soldiers. They are not doing the restoration work in Afghanistan either that they promised. In fact, Iran is contributing the most money to that effort. So much for that promise. Their military seems to lack control or an adequate communications system. Too many American soldiers were killed by so called "friendly fire" in the Gulf War. 40% I read. Bush or Powell said our young people will be up to the job. I sure wouldn't want them sending my son to murder innocent people, which is what most of their targets end up being. Iraq is not a viable threat and has no connection shown to the terrorists that attacked the WTC. I am not anti American. I believe the American people are wonderful people with similsr ideals to our own. I just do not trust the motives of this present administration. If the USA without UN approval attacks Iraq; it is known that this is very likely to set off more terrorist attacks in the USA and probably Canada too.
I do not like they way the American govt in looking for support by bribes of arms or money or threats of an
economic nature

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-07 14:38:08

Personally i think that if the USA attacks without UN approval, and without valid reason, in a few years there will be the third world war. Yes, I'm a bit pessimistic, i know...

Reply to this message