DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: grusso

Date: 2003-03-04 10:33:29

I agree that there are varying degrees of anti-Americanism in Canada, but as an American living in Canada (a landed immigrant), I must say that I have not felt put out at all.

Much of the sentiment one finds is related to "cultural imperialism," for example, the proliferation of US based big box stores, the dominance of Hollywood in our entertainment etc. But as I have always said to individuals who have confronted me, if they chose not to frequent these places of business, if they chose to encourage Canadian based enterprises, art, etc. then they would be empowered to "stem the tide," as it were.

Much of the "anti-Americanism" one finds in Canada assumes that Americans in general are either flooding Canada with cultural items, and/or that the average American wants to annex Canada. Neither of these is a true statement. Anti-Americanism, I feel, is misdirected at the population when in fact, the problem is routed either in trade policies and the choices that Canadian consumers make every day or in other governmental agreements with the US.

With respect to foreign policy, anti-Americanism is likely a disagreement with the policy of the current US government and not with the people of the US. Even within the US there is a strong and growing sense of this form of "anti-Americanism" as it were. It is called "dissent." This is one of the great things about living in a free and open society that we are all entitled to our opinions and that we can express them.

In my own life, when confronted with either form of what is called "anti-Americanism," I do not take it personally, but rather, I try to redirect the legitimate concerns of whomever I am talking with and I ask questions about exaclty how or why they have come to feel the way they do. More often than not, I share their concerns and can suggest how they may take matters into their own hands and act on their feelings in their daily lives.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-04 14:57:10

Perhaps you have been spared the vitriol of a large segment of anti-american feeling. I guess that's because it is very rarely directed at any one person.

What bothers a small minority of Canadians with regards to our MPs calling Americans "bastards" is that we feel kinship with Americans and their way of living.

I can tell you, in the ordinairy course of the day, I would not be comfortable voicing any support for George W Bush and can be made to feel treasonous if I express a love for the American way. Even though, the American way is virtually identical to the Canadian way.

Yes, there are differences, but in the scheme of things, they are slight.

Reply to this message