DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-05 12:01:09

Americans are not intolerant of other cultures at all. When refugees and immigrants arrive in another country, it is quite normal that they adapt to the new culture, otherwise they should not go into that country! Yes, they did wage a war of aggression on native americans, but that was in the past. The French and British did the same with the colonialism, the arabs did the same in the middle ages to spread Islam. (The King (of England or France?) signed a treaty in the 18th century with the natives of Canada saying that large parts of canadian territory would forever be theirs without 'white' intervention... Look at Canada today).

This is all the past, i do not think there is any one single country which has not done something wrong in the past...

As for religion, i think it is the right of the American majority to believe in any God they wish, and if the government is also close to the majority i don't see any problem either
with that. You have your own personal opinions on weapons, God, etc., but the American people have another opinion. Why do you say your opinion is right while theirs is wrong? Are they violating any international law regarding this? No, so there is no problem. If you don't like the way they live, you should simply not live there. I think these points, are non-issues.

Regarding the war on terrorism in Afghanistan, the Americans considered they were attacked, and they did ask the taliban government to hand over Bin Laden, but the taliban said no. So US's response was entirely correct in that case, and i do think Canada would have done the same (if we had the resources of course).

As for the other points you mentioned, i agree with you. The US government does not take into account the rest of the countries when dealing with international issues, and that is not good at all. But this is not related to the US people, but the US government, which are two different things. I am against the war on Iraq, i am against the rejection of the Kyoto protocol by the US government, i am against many things the US government is doing...

But i do think that the Canadian people and American people are similar ... We share a lot in common with them.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: rapyke

Date: 2003-03-05 17:06:40

The US government is the US people. I have American friends too, but as a nation, they are collectively responsible for the actions of their government.

I also admit to having strong views on this topic, but the simple fact remains - The United States of America is about to engage in a war of agression with the stated goal of removing the lawful government of an independant nation. This proposed war is being urged and forced on the global community by the United States who has said they will proceed alone regardless of Global opinion.

Opposition to a war is building in the US and other countries around the world at a governmental level and a grassroots level and that is good. If the US follows through with its stated goal of war, it won't be enough though. I know that not all 'Americans' are in agreement with their Government - they are responsible for it though.

Do I hate 'Americans'? Certainly not! Their government however... that is a different story. Their President, their Commander in Chief, is about to lead them into committing an evil act of aggression.

Canada is right to take the position that the UN must decide. War in the Middle East will have global impacts - the global community must decide.

God bless America?

No.

God help America.

God help the world.

Reply to this message

Anti- Americanism

Date: 2003-03-06 07:18:59

Most of the points you just wrote i agree with...

But don't forget that when you elect a government, you don't necessarily know what that government will do down the road... I don't think Mr. Bush's government said they would invade Iraq while doing the election campaign... We have to take everything in perspective.

Reply to this message

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-15 04:49:39

I dertainly agree with you there codc01.
Elected government leaders often do not do as promised. We know that very well in BC. I believe there is a large segment of the US people who are against the war without UN sanctions. We will see by the Peace Marches this weekend. But Mr Bush ignores them as he does anyone who doesn't share his viewpoint.

Reply to this message

Anti- Americanism

Date: 2003-03-15 16:11:45

For me, the problem is not even Bush (well he's part of the problem by not saying no to all his advisors) but the crazy people behind him... Advisors who lived the cold war era and have not grown up since (Wolfowitz, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld...)...

In all cases, i agree with you most US citizens who know the facts (a lot simply don't know the facts), are against war without UN backing...

Reply to this message

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-15 21:10:32

I think you may be correct there but add; daddy, Powell and Cheney.

Reply to this message

Anti- Americanism

Contributor: banquosghost

Date: 2003-03-06 11:31:35

If the *people* of a country can be deemed to be accountable for the actions of the *government* of a country anywhere at all it's in a democratically governed country.

Which is what makes the idea of bombing a country where the citizens are under the thumb of a dictator all the more obscene. If the war is going to happen it should be a ground action with close and local air support to ensure only combatants are targeted.

But the big toys are just too much fun to leave at home. Wanna see the big bang-bang flash. Oh boy. Lookee there. It blowed up good.

Reply to this message