DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canadian involvement with Iraq

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-11 23:02:47

He is commander-in -chief or the American army; is he not. I do not believe all the fault lies with the pilots that dropped the bomb. The problem lies in a lack of proper communications between troops. I believe,they may be the usual scape goats

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-13 16:29:33

Yes, he is commander in chief, but its still a stretch to lay the blame for friendly fire at his feet.

By that logic, every sea king disaster on Chretien's watch is his responsibility. (Which, I guess, you could argue as it was his decision to cancel there replacement...)

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-13 22:20:08

Well if you remeber the Gulf war; the figures I read were 40% of americans killed were killed by friendly fire. As commander in chief; he should have addressed this real problem. Mr Bush and the top military brass should have acted to address this lack of acceptable communications between the fighting force units. Mr Cretien should ensure our fighting force is better protected if he wants them to act for him. We must improve our military. This could be accomplished financially by training them to perform coast guard duties and civil defense for natural or other disasters.

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-14 14:37:29

40% dead by friendly fire is a statistic which reveals how FEW the number of enemy-caused casualties there are. This statistic is misleading.

Otherwise, I take your point. Friendly fire must be eliminated as much as possible. So too, must we ensure our military is equipped to perform their missions as safely and securely as possible.

Reply to this message