DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

The Three Pillars

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canada - U.S. Relationship

Contributor: cougyr

Date: 2003-03-13 12:39:10

Since something like 25% of US exports come to Canada, we have much more clout than we realize. Since the US is determined to penalize softwood lumber, wheat, steel, fish, etc., Canada should penalize US movies, magazines, newspapers, tv, etc. which are dumped into Canada. Canada should also penalize California wines and vegetables which are also dumped into Canada.

Basically, Comosun, I agree with you. My point is that Canada has to stop rolling over and playing dead every time the Americans bully us. If we have to have a trade war to get their attention, then we should do it. The interior of BC is a basket case due to softwood lumber. Let's retaliate.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-13 15:25:18

Canada has to stop being so paranoid.

Our economy is as big as China's but we still run around deathly afraid of those mean Americans.

Instead of running to a corner, crying our eyes dry and dreaming up retaliation, let's do the following:

REACH OUT to the US construction industry who are our natural allies in the softwood lumber dispute. They are hurt by this issue as much as our softwood lumber producers.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-13 19:57:42

Agreed, however the Americans in charge are refusing to listen to pleas from their own construction industry.

What we have done as our mills go down is to increase the export of raw logs which don't face a duty. So what is happening is that the Americans get our wood, while we lose the jobs.

I think retaliation would get their attention. Rolling over just doesn't work.

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-14 00:53:23

I am now, being very careful to buy only Canadian produce and anything else I can. The BC interior is worried about the soft wood lumber now; They will be livid when Campbell finishes giving away our forests. The timber licenses will not be tied to jobs. The companies will be free to export raw logs etc. We are being sold out again by Gordon Campbell. I have tried to get more information. Is he willing to sell our forests to foreign interests like he has our hydro. The Americans want our raw logs; is he allowed to sell our forest to interests outside of BC. BUY and SELL Canadian

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-14 17:06:57

" I am now, being very careful to buy only Canadian produce and anything else I can."

Me too. I also wrote places where I have holidayed in the past (Las Vegas, Disney World, etc.) and told them why I'm not coming back. They deserve to know that they are losing money due to policies of their government.

I am also worried about Campbell's privatization schemes, but that's another subject.

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-15 12:51:09

Campbell's privatation schemes may be somewhat off topic but I think he will be allowing our unfinished logs (jobs) to be exported to the US. He is selling our assets or control of these assets outside Canada (hydro). This worries and aggravates me. I do not want US companies with control over our BC /Canadian assets. I would like the federal government to step in to ensure that control of Canadian assets remain within Canada.

Reply to this message