DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Moving Forward

Contributor: solardog

Date: 2003-03-19 02:34:33

well said. many things to consider now that the US is now actively'removing' Saddam.
on top of the 90billion Bush is allocating to this war in itself, how many tax dollars are we gonna see go overseas to 'rebuild the gulf'? Aren't the Americans already in debt over half a trillion dollars?(projected to rise to 1.8 trillion by 2010)where do these guys get there credit???thats what Id like to know
yes, it'll be very interesting to see if the UN will charge the US with anything, now that they're acting outside international law. (though I doubt any 'ONE' would or could enforce it, either, I also doubt that the world will sit idly while this injustice occurs)
the UN inspectors wer not permitted to do their job, and thats too bad, for everyone.
I say we call collections in after the US government and suspend their 'credit cards' for a minimum 90 days, preferably 900 days.
As they pile more Debt onto their own people so that they can 'liberate' the Iraqis to the same brand of 'freedom' while maiming the land on both sides of the globe, I again wonder who the Bush administration expects is going to pay for all of this destruction and the rebuilding on top of that. you guessed it,THE US TAXPAYERS! or more precisely, the taxpayers' children's children for quite a while. not something for these citizens to be too proud of, or pleased with.
we should really view the bush administration as criminals, and any other regime in possession of weapons of mass destruction. war has never solved anything.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Moving Forward

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-20 01:14:01

Oh, I suppose they will drain the Iraq oil fields to pay for the damage they do. Saw a picture in the National Post today.Baghdad looks like a very beautiful city. The USA government has not been supporting the UN for years, They do not pay their share of dues; yet the UN spend a sizeable portion of their money in the USA. The USA is unwilling to join the land mines ban or to join the International Criminal court or to sign the Kyota Accord. Why this pressing need to "free the Iraqi people". The terrorists of the World Trade Center were not from Iraq. If the USA wants to stop terrorism they would do well to start with reigning in Israel and its refusal to respect UN resolution re; invading Palestinian territory and occupying Palestinian territory.
The UN needs to be rebuilt with many changes. I do not believe that any of 5 countries should have a veto. Perhaps in the present form it should be at least 2 vetos. Which was present this time. I also do not believe that there should be 5 permanent members. The world and governments are constantly changing and The UN should be changeable to reflect this reality.
I think Canada should have a bigger role within the UN. We may be small in population but we are large in size and resources that need to be recognized and protected.

Reply to this message

Moving Forward

Contributor: jimlyn

Date: 2003-04-25 08:55:40

The UN should first of all be relocated to a more nuetral terratory.Or it should move around the globe,situating itself in different Embassies,allowing all countries to feel as though they actually are a part of the whole.But make no mistake...we need the UN as a cohesive legal apparatus.

Reply to this message