DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: traff1

Date: 2003-03-30 23:10:54

Expel him? Why?
Expel Iraqi diplomats FIRST.

Is it just me, or am I one of few Canadians who think that my future is being ruined by what is going on today at the diplomatic level with our government.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-31 02:43:31

Nobody should be expelled ...

Neither the Iraq representative (yes, Iraq's official government still exists - so unless the diplomats are spies, they should be allowed to stay!),
nor the US ambassador, he's just making a big fire to make more political turmoil in Canada (with quite some success!), but that is his right!

Reply to this message

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-03-31 18:59:37

It depends on what your view of what the future should be like before you can say 'ruined'.

Reply to this message

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: traff1

Date: 2003-04-01 18:24:52

Ruined:
Canada US Relations is the most important aspect of our two nations that must be protected.

I value these things:
The Continental Security provided by the US.

The economic and business oppurtunities created by our somewhat open border and free trade agreements.

Most of all, I value the fact that because our once proud country that fought facist europe will no longer stand up for freedom, we can always rely on the US to complete the task started in WW2.

If you don't value the last point,ask our veterens.

Reply to this message

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-02 02:53:09

You are telling me that because we have big economic ties with the US, we should not follow our own foreign policy... Thats what I'm reading in your message....

I value morality over money any day...
(I'm sure we might not agree on the values of morality, but this is another story, in your message you seem concerned about our economy)...

Again the link with WWII, can you elaborate with facts, how do you see the link? Did Saddam try to invade your country and try to rule the world?

Is it because of WWII you support this war? This does not make sense...

I know veterans of WWII, and i know how it affected them, and i can tell you i admire them for what they did.

Soldiers follow orders, whatever these orders... So i don't even see the point with the current situation, please elaborate.

Reply to this message

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-02 18:59:45

I value our veterans immensely. My father lost an arm in the Canadian Navy in WWII (he was 18yrs in '44 and is still alive and reasonably well) and I am proud of him and all of his comrades.
In regards to the USA in WWII, if you recall, they did not want to get involved and only did so reluctantly, but very profitably. Our country does stand up for freedom, and always will.
The problem lies in the fact that 'pre-emptive self defense' is a very subjective card to play, and the US provided very dubious evidence regarding an 'imminent threat' from Iraq.
I believe 'Operation "Shock And Awe" was not meant for the Iraqis, but for the rest of us who dare to think otherwise.

Reply to this message