DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

United Nations will not release oil money for emergency Food & Water in Iraq...

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-02 12:41:47

"There was no resolution passed in the U.N. stating this, you are in error. "

Cheap trick! :) They are not in defiance of the UN, because nobody condemned them, but they are still attacking Iraq illegaly...

The goal of the UN is not politics, even though i agree with you that currently in 'real-life' i'd rather say its a meeting of powerful nations which care mainly about their own interets...
But, we need the UN, otherwise we have nothing...

"As long as the food and water get there, does it really bother you as to method? "

It DOES matter WHO delivers the humanitarian aid, not for us Canadians, but it does matter for the people of the middle-east...

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-02 16:13:55

codc01, Cheap trick! :) They are not in defiance of the UN, because nobody condemned them, but they are still attacking Iraq illegaly...

(Good come back) :)

"Cheap trick, we are talking about the U.N. here. It is all cheap tricks". :)

codc01, you do realize that most countries of the U.N. don't even have a fair legal system! Some of these countries wouldn't know what a Charter of Rights and Freedoms is! (Even if it hit them in the behind).

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-02 16:56:37

It DOES matter WHO delivers the humanitarian aid, not for us Canadians, but it does matter for the people of the middle-east...

If you & your family are staving to death, it doesn't matter WHO gets the food to you. Perhaps there are some well fed (chubby) Middle-east people who care but they are not the one who are hungry.

If someone is telling you it matters who delivers the aid, I wouldn’t take them too seriously as that individual(s) is probably well fed and sitting at a computer terminal. ;)

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-03 02:33:58

"If you & your family are staving to death, it doesn't matter WHO gets the food to you. Perhaps there are some well fed (chubby) Middle-east people who care but they are not the one who are hungry. "

I think you've got it partially wrong, some people are willing to starve to death instead of accepting help from those they consider as the 'evil' of the world... Only the future will tell us what will happen.

I have met a lot of different people of different ethnic background in my life, and I've seen how people think differently... But I'm not saying I'm right, because i actually don't know...

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-03 14:03:06

Interesting, I've met alot of people from all sorts of backgrounds too, and the thing I can't get over is how SIMILARLY people think.

Sometimes, I think that humans of all backgrounds share the same base values and that religion and culture only serve to muck those values up a little and create semantic differences that cause all sorts of horrors and clashes.

The UN would work if there was such a thing called human rights. That these human rights were irrespective of culture, race and religion.

I don't know...

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-05 14:07:26

Yes cfallon as stated before; we do share many similsr belief but still come up on opposing sides. Perhaps that is because the real truth and real solution lies somewhere between. I really can't believe that this war is going to be a magic bullet and bring any semblance of peace to the Middle East. Until we can get all countries to work together on the main issue instead of all promoting their own economic and political ideals; maybe there is no answer. The UN is the best hope we have but will need many changes. Just like a new democracy it needs time, understanding , compromise, and representatives who are more global minded and free from political pressures and agendas.

Reply to this message