DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-02 18:42:02

While I admit that this may be construed as 'Fleabag doesn't think the US can do anything right', I am happy that this issue has been brought to light by the US. The people of China could benefit greatly if the UN, and the US in particular, pursue the matter. My problem lies in the fact that The US puts no stock in the word of the UN, defies it when it (the US) or it's economic allies are called to account, but will pretend 'moral outrage' for some political mileage. There is no question the US needs to bolster it's image in world relations,
for many peoples question it's motives, and with good reason.
To threaten China with a statement like 'We'll consider doing the right thing since it is of no consequence' is hardly a threat at all. I would be far happier if the US and Canada threatened to cut off trade as long as they are 'totalitarian' would go a lot further to help not only the people of China, but people everywhere. For now, I only think they are trying to score PR points by threatening to 'consider' a moral stand, rather than an economic penalty.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-02 22:43:21

Ahh, I understand you points better now. Yes you are right.

Reply to this message