DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

United Nations will not release oil money for emergency Food & Water in Iraq...

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-03 02:03:38

I believe the UN stated that the Coalition is resposible for ensuring that humanitarian aid is delivered.
Iraq has billions of dollars in their UN account to pay for food at this time.
I believe Cretien has pledged 100 million for Iraq humanitarian aid.
It will be better if the UN or organizations not involved in this war were to deliver any food so it doesn't become a propagada tool.
I would not trust food delivered to me by an invading force.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-03 14:04:13

Do Kurds exist in your world?

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-05 13:21:22

-----It is worth note, that cfallon didn't get a reply...

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-05 13:51:03

Well my understanding is most of the Kurds are situated near Turkey and are fighting with the coalition; The main body of Kurds are probably not facing the starvation faced by the other Iraqis in Baghdad and other surrounded cities. They are not the majority of people being starved. I do suspect that the Americans would like to bestow the aid more for "photo opportunity" and propaganda. By Americans I am specifically referring to the administration; Americans with true humanitarian outlook do not care who feeds the starving people; only that they are fed.
Ok Barrett satisfied. I was tardy because I haven't been able to research this issue to give an informed answer; so I will let you have my own humble understanding. If you can enlighten me; I would be interested. Either way; Americans can offer food to anyone they want; I just don't want them to have exclusive rights.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-08 13:25:51

The Kurds are in better shape because they have wrested control of their lands from Saddam, thanks to patrols of the no-fly zones.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-08 22:58:56

Yes, Iraq's Kurds are better off now. What about Turkey's Kurds. They are being slaughtered by Turkey a sometimes ally of the USA. Turkey is only getting promises of 7 Billion from the USA now since Turkey has rescinded the use of their land for the invasion forces. There are many more Kurds in Turkey and Iran than Iraq. That is a problem that should have been addressed long ago. It is not fundamentally an Iraq problem.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-10 10:16:02

I think we see that Turkey is more closely allied to France and Germany now.

What would France and Germany propose to help Kurds? I know: nothing!

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-10 14:02:19

Your facts are simply wrong.

Turkey is actually aligned with nobody (and I'm very happy with that) - did you know that the UE is constantly threatening Turkey saying they will never get in unless they do that and this... While they did not accept US's bribes either. They stand up for their own interests, and that is quite honorable.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-11 08:56:59

But there is dis-honor because the US stands up for their own interests?

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-11 14:21:32

No. If the US defends their interests within the legal international framework, i don't have any problem with that.

I'd really like that if all countries took more care about worlwide interest instead of their own, but i think this should be done by all countries all at once ... (IS it possible currently? No).

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-13 00:18:36

I was relieved when Turkey turned down the American bribe. That was a lot of money they refused. However, Turkey is not that honourable in its treatment of its Kurdish people. Turkey has been accused of genocide of the Kurds.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-13 00:39:13

check out this website: http://www.orgurluk.org/hrights/humtorrap.
It describes many of the terrible human rights abuses and genocide of the Kurds in Turkey. Germany is mentioned as ignoring this abuses for its interests in trade with Turkey. The date is 1996 but if these abuses still exist as described under rape and torture ( or similar subtitle) I would have to support a regime change here and wonder why the UN hasn't done anything to control Turkey Administration that allows such atrocities.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-04-13 14:32:53

Well, Turkey has changed, they have no choice, they want to enter the European Union, and the conditions for entry are very strict, and most of those conditions have been respected. And I agree, just watch the known movie Lawrence of Arabia (which is an historical film after all), and you'll see that the Turks were not the kindest people in the world at all.

The problem i have is that the EU seems always to be adding new conditions to Turkey...

Reply to this message