DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-05 16:32:41

Hi RCGGILLIS,

Are you saying we should wait for mushroom clouds on our soil before we stop Saddam or his sons?

Do you think Saddam is nuts enough to pass WMD to a 3rd party? Would you trust Saddam with our lives?

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: RCGGILLIS

Date: 2003-04-06 14:59:42

Barretm82,

Actually, I do agree wit the US/UK coalition of the willing. The point I was trying to make is that in the past, as noted by Escott Reid, Canada stood for something. We were able to make the tough moral decisions that were required of us. We stood along side our NATO allies and worked with the US in NORAD to ensure that we were safe. It was then they were worked in the multilateral environment under Pearson to establish peacekeeping efforts around the world.

I think Canada should be involved in the war on Iraq. The Iraqi people are the ones having their rights violated by their own government. I think we as Canadians know that the regime of Saddam is wrong, and thus we should be standing up against him, irrespective of the UN. I think I have articulated my position better then in the above post if you care to read them.

Reply to this message

Cellucci Speech

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-06 17:19:23

Thanks for clearing that up. :)
Yeah, sometimes we miss things when we read too quickly. oops... :)

Good to see you on the forum.

Reply to this message