DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Immigration in Canada. and multiculturalism...

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-07 17:48:45

One disturbing trend I witnessed is self segregation of various immigrant groups in Canada. A business person I am familiar with owns a large grocery store for minorities. As I walked thru the store with him I noticed that he had the same specialty food items in different locations in the store. I asked him, "why not keep all this stuff in the same place? Like you would see in other typical Grocery stores like Safeway, etc."

He answered, “Many of his customers from different countries in the world didn’t like to be in the same space as other ethnic groups, so he had to segregate the food isles in his store”. For example, some from India didn’t like those from Pakistan; others from East Africa didn’t like those from West Africa, etc, etc…

I was honestly shocked by the racism of the customers; usually when I think racism I think of Nazi.
What I witnessed at his grocery store was minority detestation of minority racism, I returned during a busy hour a couple of days later and yes it was more evident, particularly at the checkout lines.

Has anyone here seen this problem? Or is it a local phenomenon in that particular city? I don’t know of any studies regarding minority to minority racism for reference…. If I was in government, I would consider looking further into this issue.

Just my 2-cents….
Steve

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-08 02:04:49

That is exactly one of the problems which worries me, racsim between the minorities, and the majority being caught in the middle :(...

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-08 13:20:49

Agreed. Racism is one of the most wicked facets of human existence.

Reply to this message