DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Some comments on answers... (Afghanistan attack unjustified)...

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-09 06:34:00

I think there is a problem, and its very difficult to see which one is right... There will always be civilian deaths in a war, a 'clean' war does not exist... Those who say clean wars exist are idealists. The goal is to make sure there are the least deaths as possible...

Now put yourself in the place of a general(? - the military boss whatever they call him)... You have several options:

1) Classical war, with air support when attacking clearly defined ennemies (the front). This is the longest route, and may cause the most deaths on both sides of the conflict (albeit mostly military).

2a) Air patrols, guided by Special Forces which act on intelligence reports to try to kill (or disable) all leaders and command and control to shorten the war. The intelligence reports might not all be true, so sometimes they bomb someplaces where they should not. There can be civilian deaths here.

2b) Pilots of aircraft can decide to engage and destroy any target that seem reasonable they see without any clear and real picture of the target. Here there can be civilian deaths.

I think the Americans did #2a and #2b in Afghanistan, while leaving the ground assault for special Forces and Northern Alliance soldiers.

The Americans are currently using all three options in the Iraq war.

In all cases, as a General , i would have some serious reservations about option #2b (because i think most, if not all, blunders come from there)... But the other options would be reasonable, no?

Reply to this message

Show in topic