DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canada's policy on what to do with those who facilitate dictators?

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-11 21:44:31

The U.N. passed a resolution that countries were not to sell arms to Iraq.

There is indication of documentation that some leaders of countries have clearly ignored this. Apparently Saddam kept good records.

What do you think should happen to the leaders of those countries? Should they be charged by the International Criminal Court?

Should they resign?

Should they be held criminally liable for the deaths of allied solders?

Your thoughts?

Here is a recent occurrence for review.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/04/02/sarovic030402

Bosnian leader resigns over illegal arms exports to Iraq
Last Updated Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:20:39
SARAJEVO - The top Bosnian politician resigned Wednesday after he was found to have allowed illegal exports of military parts to Iraq.

International investigators discovered that Mirko Sarovic, a Bosnian Serb and chairman of the country's three-member presidency, knew about and failed to block the export of refurbished military aircraft engines by the state-owned Bosnian company Orao.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-12 13:20:23

Almost every country that develops and sells weapons would be devoid of leadership if they were held accountable for what is done with those weapons. Especially the US and Russia. End-user certificates can only do so much and they are the legal 'out' of resonsibility for the producing nation. Facilitating dictators goes far beyond just selling arms.

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-12 14:36:30

They should be put to justice in their own country.

I think there is a misunderstanding in the role of the ICC. ICC's mandate is to prosecute war crimes, acts of genocide and massive deportation. I don't think it has anything to do with what you are talking about.

Even Saddam could not be put to trial under the ICC, since he did not commit war crimes, or genocide after june 2002. (He did before that though, but it does not fall under the jurisdiction of the ICC).

As Canada clearly stated Saddam and his collaborators should be put to trial by a special criminal court under the jurisdiction of the UN (A bit like it was done for Yugoslavia and Rwanada). I entirely approve of Canada's position on this topic.

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-15 11:17:55

Except to say that if Canadian military officers apprehend Saddam, they have been ordered to free them.

Or at least, this is how its portrayed.

Does anyone know whether Canada would turn them over to --- is there an authority that is non-national that you turn people over to for war crimes? Is the ICC also a jailer?

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-15 11:46:33

I think Canada would ask the UN to setup a special tribunal...

As for the ICC, i don't know if they have a right for temporary emprisonment, as for sentencing, any state (on a pre-established list of volunteer countries) can accept the prisonner .

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-16 01:20:39

cfallon; Canadian military has not been told to free any Iraqi fugitives or Saddam; they were told to contact Chretien for furthur instructions. I would believe that Canada would seek UN guidance. The USA does not have any jurisdiction that I am aware of to hold or prosecute foreign citizens not apprehended on USA territory; except that conferred on them by the UN during a sanctioned war.

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-17 11:51:07

I wasn't sure what the final decision was, and I think what you are saying makes sense.

Reply to this message