DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Root Causes

Contributor: kcowan

Date: 2003-04-17 12:57:53

>What are root causes of poverty? I am not smart enough to supply an exhaustive list, but let me suggest a few:
>
>1) Repression and a lack of freedom.
While many regimes use these tactics against their own people, it is motivated by their desire to retain power. Our Canadian government uses different techniques to retain power. I would grant you that excessive repression might produce poverty and the result might be terrorist acts.
>2) Ignorance through limited education and controlled media.
The oil-rich states are generally pretty well-off in medical care and education so I think this is a stretch.
>3) Economic systems that diminish the value of initiative and creativity.
Canada does this more than the US through higher and progressive taxation. Yet I do not see a higher tendency to terrorism (or poverty).
>4) Racial/ethnic strife.
Certainly, we do see evidence supporting this one in Ireland, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. We have also seen it in Watts CA and Quebec.
>5) Natural disasters/lack of resources.
Certainly lead to poverty and lack of respect for human life.
>6) Countries run by regimes that despise its own people.
I think it would be fairer to say that it is a racially diverse community in which the group in power share little with the majority of their people.

Because we have seen terrorism in Quebec in our history, we should be able to show leadership as a country that has moved beyond it.
Nothing supports an international stance more than success in our own backyard.

Great dialogue, 'cfallon'. Thanks for initiating it. Are you Canadian?

Reply to this message

Show in topic