DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Dear Minister

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 21:56:02

Well, since it is posted here I assume you are looking for thoughts so just remember this is just my personal humble off the cuff opinion.

I thought the letter was well said at the beginning but it lost me at this point.

…” the Canadian economy has been choked into submissive defense of our remaining assets, future, and way of life.

I thought the Chrétien government has done a super job with the economy; currently we lead the G8.

Our water resources are protected, we have some pollution problems out east but we are dealing with them.

As far as way of life, it has always been in change, we don’t ride buggies on horse back into town anymore and our cities are more diversified and colourfull, plus cleaner then many other non-Canadian cities.

…” Canada has supplanted the US as a respected democratic model and safe place to live”.

I would agree with that if we had an elected EEE senate, also I wonder if we are starting to look like a weak nation, we couldn’t even do anything about Rwanda…? Where as in the past we got right involved in Cypress and made a major difference and an internationally respected military name for Canada.

…” convictions by calling for a complete review of the UN's role, structure, and mandate, with a view to further democratizing that organization”…

Bravo, well said. IMO.

…” Canadian military forces should not enter any international engagement without UN sanction”…

I have to ask about our involvement in NATO against Serbia? Perhaps some day we can defer to the U.N. but sadly that day isn’t here yet. IMO.

…” or attack these employees could be readily integrated into the military structure.”…

That may have been true in the old war days, but current warfare demands full time skilled military people. It is not like WWII where we could take people off the street and turn them into troops in 2 weeks. The effectiveness of professional troops has been clearly demonstrated in the last 10 years, but don’t take my word for it, ask our allies.

Well, that's my 2-cents.
Have a good Easter fellows.
Steve.

Reply to this message

Show in topic