DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Dear Minister

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-18 08:49:36

Yes, i understand this is bad, especially since the ministry of oil is protected like Fort Knox (exact words of The guardian newspaper)...

I just want to make sure you understand that the US should not have stopped the looting in the first few days (except maybe looting of hospitals and embassies), since Iraqis lived under pressure for such a long time, its normal that there was looting to vent out their anger... But the US should have stepped in after a few days (which did not do entirely, they did not seem prepared)...

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Dear Minister

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-18 11:18:26

I do not believe there is any reason to condone any looting by Iraqi's. The damage and destruction by these criminal types hurts all Iraqis. Other than Sadaam's personal residences, Sadaam statues or for food or necessities. These looters are not representittive of the general public. Most intelligent Iraqi citizens were staying in their homes and keeping their children indoors to protect them from "accidental or collateral" attacks. Some of the looters claim they were encouraged by the soldiers. The museums were discussed prior to the war and were promised to be protected. I do realize though that the military were preoccupied with other tasks to be able to completely control any looting.
I find it hard to believe the normal Iraqi people are the ones rejoicing in the streets with a foreign military presence; I think these would be mainly Kurds and opportunists performing for the cameras in return for looting rights or other selfish considerations. The Normal reaction (even if they support the overthrow of Sadaam) would be to stay indoors out of harms way, especially the children.

Reply to this message