DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

So, you want to know the meaning of life? // An enlightened metaphor for our Canada.

Contributor: Jibongo

Date: 2003-04-21 16:25:35

Delightful metaphor, Steve! Metaphors, of course, can lead us astray (or blind us) as well as enlighten us. Let me explore my own heart & mind. My mind tells me I'm an autonomous individual, disconnected from the world around me. My heart tells me (whenever I manage to get to its core [COR is Latin for 'heart']) that I am connected with all of life. It's the mirror that picks up the little flashes of the truth that I treasure (like your metaphor). But I have to be careful what I do with them. I need to see how they fit in with previous flashes. I need to put them to the test. I need confirmation from as many others as possible. Do they lead us (me & all my earthmates) into closer harmony?
Let's share bits of our light with each other for MUTUAL critiquing. I would find this more valuable that going deep into our backgrounds. Our backgrounds may be facinating but they are fixed; our hopes are (or should be) flexible so we can find fruitul fits & refine them for evermore harmonious fits. How? By respectful, peaceful social interaction [as I hope our Foreign Policy will do with other nations]!

Reply to this message

Show in topic