DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

The DART Team ...

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-24 08:49:35

Some update (I know this is today's news, os it might not be true, but it seems logical):

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030424.ucana0424/BNStory/International

In short : Military cannot be deployed because of a lack of resources (As i already talked about earlier in another discussion)...

DART will not be deployed because they are expert for respoding to natural disasters not for post-war reconstruction. Politically, it would have been inconsistent sending troops now.

They will probably send RCMP officers, but it costs 250000$ Cdn per year per officer.

----
My comments : The reasoning the government officials took are logical and sensible, and i agree with them, even though i do think it is very expensive to deploy RCMP officers!

Reply to this message

Show in topic