DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canada's role

Contributor: canuckabroad

Date: 2003-01-23 09:12:40

i'd agree with steve's comments on this one. i'm a canadian living in europe and previously have lived in australia. while the Irish are going ballistic about the threat to their neutrality due to US war planes landing at Shannon and the Aussies are preparing to send troops to the Gulf to assist the americans, canada sits on the fence - Why? The current govt has adopted a holier than now attitude towards the USA, a type of don't bully us, like they are bullying who, Ireland, Australia? Its embarassing to try and defend our govt policy when the pure economic facts are that the USA is Canada's biggest trading partner - over a Billion dollars a day. Any smart business person would recognize this and attempt to improve relations with such a good customer, instead the leaders of the Great White North hold the US in contempt. Listen I'm no fan of George W, but if we push to hard the US may say enough and the glowing economy which Canada enjoys could soon go the way of Ireland's Celtic Tiger.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Canada's role

Contributor: rmk

Date: 2003-01-24 08:44:54

Well said. I have lived in the U.S. for the past few years and have come to appreciate that country. Although they may be clouded in their judgement sometimes, they always do what they feel is right for their country. It's time our government (and Canadians) realized that the most important international realtionship they have is the one south of the border. Mr. Chretien, while he has done some good things, needs to get out of the way. He has handled U.S. relations very poorly since Mr. Bush has taken office. Make the right decision or just go away.

Reply to this message

Canada's role

Contributor: ls

Date: 2003-01-24 15:53:43

I spent six years in US and five years in Canada, and now in US again. Yes, US is our beggest trading partner, yes, our economy depends (too much) on US. However, that doesn't mean we follow US policy. You befriend your friend not by simply following his steps. You empower the business relationship not by bowing to every request from your business parter. If you lose your own integrity, at last, you will fall down, let alone any prospority of the economy. We should take care of own problems first, fixing our healthcare, fixing our welfare, fixing our jobs, fixing our downgraded living, rather than following US on intervention of the mess of other countries at the price of Canadian lives. Canada has a good international reputation, let's keep it that way. I see no reason for joining this war by US. I see no need to flatter our neighbor too much.

Reply to this message

Canada's role

Contributor: rmk

Date: 2003-01-27 13:41:59

I am not suggesting that we lie down and let the U.S. take us wherever they go, but what I am suggesting is that we take a harder look at our relationship with them. We are able to concentrate on social issues because we don't have to spend as much money on our military. Being a close ally of the U.S. gives us that option.

Reply to this message