DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canada's role in the UN

Contributor: 1559

Date: 2003-05-01 22:49:38

The USA wants to rule the world. This 'doctrine' was first established by Thomas Payne in the 1770's and in one form or another has endured as a plank of the US foriegn policy platform ever since.

As such the UN is irrelevant to the US. They will go around it, or through it, as they see fit, when they see fit.

Changing the structure of the UN based on who pays their dues on time is not going to wash with our southern neighbours. They snicker at such behaviour.

Canada must take a much more vigorous and proactive stance in global affairs to establish its own governance model as one that will work for all the peoples of the world, whether inside the auspices of the UN or on her own.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Canada's role in the UN

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-05-02 00:50:51

I agree that there are many powerful leaders in the USA that want to dominate the world at any cost. I still believe that a majority of the citizens of the USA are friendly peaceful people like most Canadians. Like many Canadians they have many citizens who do not really understand the world situation. The heavy propaganda (brainwashing) on the media has them believing their country is really only interested in "helping" these other countries. Canada should strive to better educate our citizens on world affairs. I would like to see more real news on our newscasts instead of editorials that only tell
one side of situations. Points to prove their views while ignoring the other sides point of view and reasoning.
As the old saying goes: "there's two sides to every story"

Reply to this message