DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

The Three Pillars

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

An interesting read

Contributor: rmk

Date: 2003-01-23 14:22:45

I agree that we are allowing our natural resources to be swallowed up without protecting our own interests. It is this very type of behavior that has created this "follower" stance. Regardless, what I am disturbed by is the lack of respect we have for our neighbours to he south. Everyone seems to believe that they are the only resource gluttons in the world, when, in reality, we use more per capita than any other country. The relationship we have with the U.S. is closer than geography shows.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

An interesting read

Contributor: Robert

Date: 2003-01-25 17:02:45

I completely agree with this comment. The amount of people which on a daily basis ridicule the United States is astounding. How different are we from them? Have we forgotten that we fought the same fights, grew in the same time period, or have encountered much the same problems? True, we have had different approaches to different problems which can be attributed to our resource differences. The US has much deeper pockets than we do, and so they deal with problems differently. But, while they have on occasion stooped to acts which are shameful, they have more often than not followed their conscience. More than any other superpower in the past, the US has adhered to the principles on which it was founded. For this we should respect and applaud them, if for nothing else. I fear we are merely the armchair quarterbacks of the world.

Reply to this message

An interesting read

Contributor: Kdog

Date: 2003-02-24 19:46:19

Thanks for your defense of the US. I am an American and while I do agree that we have made errors, I am proud of my countries heritage overall, and one of our strengths I feel is the ability to overcome mistakes and try to stay true to certain ideals.

I agree that we are not that diferent, indeed we are more alike than any other two English speaking countries in the world. We share one the two greatest areas of natural resouce in the world, and the greatest area of economic opportunity and human liberty in the world.

Which is not to say that we dont have things to work on together. I am in the Air National Guard as a part time airmen. I am proud to learn that there are Canadian forces assisting in the Coalition to liberate the people of Iraq from the Bath ruling party led by Hussein. I hope that Canada will take a larger and more proactive role in North American security in the future as well.

Reply to this message

An interesting read

Contributor: CdninCali

Date: 2003-01-27 01:22:21

Applaud the statement.. We have let our natrual resources get eatten up. I think in some ways we need to stop that flow and become much more conservative with out resources. In some ways, I am lead to believe, that the NAFTA act does not allow Canada to slow the flow the of its resources. We need to find a solution to this problem. It feels like we sold our selves out in some ways. We need to take responsibility as a whole society to find out what is really going on. The love of my Mother country means more to me than I could discribe, as my Canadian Pride in enormous and I do whole heartedly believe we can keep our Canadian personality in this world. I agree with the statement made that we are looking more and more like our Imperlist's neighbours and this has got to stop. We share a lot with our neighbours as well but we can be very different than them as well.. Lets keep this North Country strong and free, and lets keep our identity.

Tim...

Reply to this message