DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

President Bush & Tony Blair

Contributor: SAJ

Date: 2003-01-27 15:13:36

I agree with Floyd 100 percent. But, we must follow international laws and any decision to invade Iraq must come from Security Council. Either Bush or Blair does not have legitimate right, under international laws and prevailing international political culture, to invade Iraq. There is no question that Saddam is an evil and he must be dealt accordingly. But, we must not start a tradition where a stronger country can go and invade a smaller country at will without any regard of international law. UN charter is more important than Bush or Blair’s foreign policy objectives. I will not have any problem going to war if UN says it OK. We will have chaos all around the globe if bigger countries start to invade smaller or weaker countries. Today, if it’s legitimate for US to invade Iraq, then tomorrow it will be legitimate for China to invade Taiwan or Pakistan, it will be legitimate for Russia to invade Japan, It will be legitimate for India to invade Burma or Bhutan or Sri Lanka. We can not go back to the days of international lawlessness.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

President Bush & Tony Blair

Contributor: afrancis

Date: 2003-01-31 15:45:18

Although I do not agree with Floyd, I commend you for recognizing the terrible, terrible dangers of non-UN-sanctioned PREVENTIVE military campaigns. I wish more people on both sides of this question would.

Reply to this message