DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

President Bush & Tony Blair

Contributor: wasim

Date: 2003-01-30 04:31:48

I disagree with Floyd's assessment that Iraq must be attacked immediately. I find it hard to believe that Iraq is a threat to the rest of the world when the facts cleary demonstrate the opposite: Iraq's military forces were annihilated during GulfWarI. The coalition against him lost less than 200 soldiers (many due to friendly fire). Saddam Hussein was routed.

The sanctions imposed on Iraq for the last decade have ensured that he could not rebuild his forces. For those who remember, the vast majority of Saddam Husseins weapons were not manufactured in Iraq (ie, Scuds from Russia, MIG and Mirage fighters from France and Russia, tanks from Russia and China). Iraq is like most other third world countries in that it must buy its real weapons (planes, tanks, missles) from other real powers. The sanctions imposed on Iraq have assured that Iraq remains a declawed and toothless animal incapable of attacking anybody. Ask yourself the last time Iraq shot down a single plane over the no-fly zones... the answer is never.

We shouldn't accept America's rhetoric that "for the sake of freedom" we must disarm Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein. I also find it hard to believe that America really cares about the Iraqi people: its well documented that the sanctions imposed on Iraq have caused immense suffering on the Iraqi people.

If BushII wants to go to war, its unfortunate and we should not get involved. Canada should stay out of America's wars. We're a peace-loving country that's not looking for a fight and we have nothing to prove.

Reply to this message

Show in topic