DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Prime Minister & Foreign Policy

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-23 09:29:59

"No, Chretien was bullied by Chirac into siding against the UK and USA. Chirac used Landry and the Quebec election against Canada. If Canada sided with the US, Landry could have told Quebecers that Canada did not represent Quebecers interests or values in foreign affairs and this would have stoked seperatism. Chirac used this as a lever against Chretien. "

I don't know where you get your facts from, but they are completely absurd, France did not bully Chretien at all. Chretien did have a sensitive problem with the Quebec opinion and the election, that is true, but France is not related at all with this.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-24 13:28:29

Well, we can't prove it either way. But I am glad it got some reaction because:

1) It could be true.

but more importantly,

2) The pro-Saddam lobby in Canada has asserted a great many vile and vicious motives behind the coalition action. The Canadian government not only remained silent while these accusations were being thrown about, but encouraged them.

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-24 14:11:57

Yes, it could be true, but it could also be true that Bush wants the oil of Iraq, or its something personal between Bush-Saddam... We'll probably never know (regarding the oil part, though, we should have a strong indication, if the Iraqi oil is kept to the Iraqi people or not)...

There is a pro-Saddam movement in Canada?? If there is, it must not be significant - I am certainly not pro-Saddam, but neither am i pro-Bush, I'm against both, and from the opinions i've seen from ordinary Canadians, they are also against Saddam and Bush...

I think your emotions are leading your reasoning, which in my opinion, is a bad idea.

Reply to this message