logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Conclusion: Le monde que nous souhaitons

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Democracy Everywhere

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-02-10 13:25:49

I think Canada wants a world where all governments at all levels are democratic.

By democratic, I mean:

a) elected representatives make the laws.
b) heads of state are elected for finite lengths of time with restrictions on their powers.
c) each government recognizes the primacy of its citizens and their rights to liberty and justice.

Let's remove all dictators and despots.

This is the American ambition. Canada must stand squarely with the US as our two countries are the nucleas of the democratic world.

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Participant: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-01 21:35:54

OK, Let's remove Bush he is the biggest dictator to the world and despot. We must as Canadians stand up for what we believe in. We cannot automatically fall in with the USA. The UN is our best hope for a more peaceful world but Mr Bush does not want it to work; he obviously believes that he and his cronies should have world dominance. This is not the American peoples choice as shown by the large peace rallies; notably the large turnout in New York which was the most damaged and traumatized by the terrorists.

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Date: 2003-03-03 14:33:09

Bush is not a dictator. As you state, so many peace rallies in his country - something a real dictator never allows.

Agreed, we cannot automatically fall in line with the USA. Equally, we cannot fall in line with any country nor should we automatically take an opposing view to the USA because it makes us feel like a real country.

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Date: 2003-03-03 22:51:20

Not dictator to the USA; Dictator to the World. Those he can't bribe; he threatens, not always with war but usually trade; including Canada. He is probably only a puppet for Powell or daddy. The USA used banned weapons and toxins during the Gulf War which is why many of his soldiers are suffering from Gulf war syndrome. If you don't believe Canada is a real country; you are free to leave. Bush is trying to make the UN fail so that The USA can control all world matters and wealth (oil)(timber). I have good information but will not share it until I have 100% proof that my information is completely reliable

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Date: 2003-03-04 15:00:18

So, if we disagree, you invite me to leave the country??? That's a free country???

Yes, the US is hungry to control the world's timber wealth!! (I'm hoping you were joking when you said this! :)

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Date: 2003-03-09 18:31:15

yes it is, thank goodness, I now more than ever love Canada and being Canadian. Do not like insinuations that we are not a real country. I am even very proud of our Prime minister and his stand. He even provide Bush / Blair with a face saving retreat. It would be very foolish of the USA/Britain to attack a country that is disarming/ or even giving the appearance of disarming. This will only breed more hate and distrust. It could bring about more terrorist attacks on North America. They can keep their troops there to ensure this .disarmanent proceeds. They have already suffer a loss of credibility by producing proof of "weapons of mass destruction" which have been proven fraudulent. Recently it was proof that Iraq was shopping for uranium in Africa 2 years ago. It was proven fraudulent.
Please note: I did not tell you to leave; you are welcome to stay in our very peace loving country. We may have faults but we do our best to be fair

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Participant: critictrue1

Date: 2003-03-09 22:55:33

I continue to be very surprised by the fact that:
1a in your mind Democracy means elected officials make the laws --rather than elected officials represent the wishes of their electors--Turkey-democracy-90% of the population does not want US troops -the vote was won by a slim majority but now we may have a second vote-
b As far as Iraq is concerned the official Washington notion is that Saddam is guilty until he proves himself innocent.--I thought that that was the basis of the Napoleonic Code not English Common Law.
c Bush & Blair--no one mentions Israel? Do you think England or the USA believe that Iraq's under 500 kilometer missiles are going to strike them. Israel is pushing but letting the others do the work and because they are not in the media they don't even exist as far as Iraq goes.(Israel is busy Peacekeeping in Palestine against UN Resolution-keep smiling as the children die) PEACEKEEPER is a Colt 44 -Right?
d Canada is large with a small population- Want to take Canadians down BOMB their electrical generating stations or transmission towers from November to April. How much military do we need? Gee I bet before we get there the USA will call us a threat to world peace and then what?
e The UN a democratic group is set up but when we don't like what the democratic vote results-- GUESS what--the DEMOCRACY reverts to MIGHT IS RIGHT (above the law and below morality)
Mr. Cretien respect your path to peace even though in the end you will be subservient to do the best for the land.
To all of you who spout and know nothing of war except what you watch 30 times of day, perhaps you should patriotically join the forces and get some of that sweat blood on your hands or enjoy video obliterate Iraq from your plane.
Just think--Why were the Trade Towers bombed? Where are all these terrorist attacks???
Why does the USA have military bases in 120some countries?
Who and how much money is being made and how much more will be made replacing spent ammunition and supplies?
Defending your country and family with your life is expected but killing, maiming defenseless people to make explosive profits for multinationals is less than bright.
Do you think an Iraqi father loves his child less than a Canadian father loves his?
But let's bring Democracy -don't worry about problems at home-
Bye the way--Foreign Policy is developed as we go from day to day---

Répondre à ce message

Democracy Everywhere

Participant: edmassey9

Date: 2003-03-10 11:37:54

If the United States and Great Britain invade Iraq in violation of international law (ie. without a new UN resolution specifically madating war) as they say they will regardless of the upcoming vote on the proposed resolution, then they will have put the final nail in the current UN's coffin.

This will be the opportunity for
Canada to initiate a call for the rebirth of the UN.

A UN where no one has a veto.
A UN where representatives are elected from the people of their country.
A UN that would be funded by individual contributions.
A UN that would have an international police force and central judicial system that charged, arrested, tried, convicted or aquited and as necessary sentenced leaders for their crimes against the international community (or their own community).
In cases where the convicted individuals were in control of military capabilities the member nations would position their combined military capabilities to enforce the sentence.

Case in point: Saddam Hussein and his Regime would be facing extinction
As would Ariel Sharon and his extremists
As would the perpetrators of the current genocide in the Congo
As would Tony Blair and George Bush if they follow through on their invasion threat (of course Bush would already be on the list for the civillians he manslaughtered in Afghanistan)
It's not inconceivable that every leader in the world (elected or otherwise) would be facing some action from this Canadain based new world order concept.
At the lower end of the scale our own Jean Chretien would be facing charges for his part in the pepper spraying of the anti-globalization demonstrators.
Any way you get my picture.
It would take a lot of money and a lot of effort on the part of a lot of people.
Of course the "security council clone" of this very UN replacement I'm proposing would no doubt be forced to act in a way that would lead to the deaths of the innocent and possibly a nuclear war and therefor have to put themselves on trial.
It's a sick and complex world full of wicked people that we live in.
But there's always Plan B:
With the demise of the current UN we could sit by and watch as anarchy, civil war and revolution break out around the globe and eventually culminates with the last human being drawing their last breath and inaudibly uttering . . . catch twenty t . .

Répondre à ce message

Inclusive democracy

Participant: ninja

Date: 2003-03-28 23:00:50

Under the government statement on foreign affairs, Canada in the World, the Government has affirmed its commitment to human rights, human security and good governance.

Good governance remains an elusive concept. It was created by the World Bank and The International Monetary Front to accompany the so called structural adjustment programs aimed at enhancing democracy in developing nations.

Although numerous policies were created by DFAIT and CIDA, notably the AID effectiveness report, few concrete explanations came from the officials that would have helped Canadians to understand good governance efforts.

Canada did play a pivotal role in making concrete the concept of good governance as an international policy in the case of NEPAD and Africa, policy that was adopted by our G8 partners. CIDA did manage innovative programs in cooperation with NGOs drawn from the civil society.

Non-governmental organizations and their members contribute to important grass-root efforts in post-building societies. They receive however, few credits and public exposure.
NGOs would be more effective in concerted departmental programs, financed by joint pools, administrated by the Treasury Board.

NGOs should be included in the drafting of international policy in the field of human security, Official development assistance, health and the environment. Just like the UN, that encouraged international NGOs to draft the International Convention of The Rights of the Child, the Canadian Government should take the first steps: ask NGOs to submit policy brief that can be use in real times. Think-tanks and research centers can also perform this function.

The process of good governance and democratization starts at home (in Canada): let the foreign policy dialogue become a tool that would give credits to so many Canadians that contribute to Canadian Foreign Policy.

Répondre à ce message