logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Les trois piliers

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Canada - U.S. Relationship

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-03-13 02:49:39

Even though i agree that the UN should be moved out of the US, I think Canada would not be a good location - switzerland would be a much better location in my mind.

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet

Participant: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-14 01:00:43

codco The UN has headquarters in Geneva' Switzerland already. We are looking at the New York site

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-14 12:51:51

I know, i meant we should move all the UN stuff to Geneva, no more New York :)

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-15 13:05:32

I think we cannot concentrate the UN in one country or continent. Canada is becoming a more neutral, peace seeking country and would be a excellent choice of locations. We may be a small country in numbers but we are very large in size. I look at Canada as one of the important parklands for the world. We need more presence within the UN. We cannot expect or trust the USA to protect Canada's interests.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-17 13:12:24

But why do you think the UN will protect our interests?

The UN has failed in some many places and times over its history that we need to be realistic about what it has achieved to date.

Our government should protect our own interests. That's why we pay taxes.

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-17 23:14:49

Our government can't protect us. We have a tiny military. We live right next door to the biggest bully in the world.

why hasn't the UN worked because the USA has not been supporting it financially or morally. So many other countries have not paid their dues either.

It is clear that the UN needs to get some teeth and make many changes and do this without the US on board.

One positive step at the UN was setting up the International Crime Commission.
The USA didn't want to belong to that organization because it doesn't want its military and leaders tried for War Crimes.

It is still a young organization and there have been several changes in major governments. It needs to change to reflect this change; we must accept that the USA as the sole super power doesn't feel the need to play by our rules.
I do not understand why Canada shouldn't have a larger presence in the UN. We may be a small country in numbers but we have a large territory, and many untapped resources to protect.
The UN should carry on and make some serious changes to the way it is run

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-18 13:26:29

I agree with cfallon, the UN will not protect us, it is actually NATO which protects us... But i also think that the UN's role should be changed, but its not the UN structure or rules which must change, its actually the role of the nations which are part of the UN!!! Nations don't stand up for what is right... If they did, it would make a big difference.

Répondre à ce message