logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Sécurité

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

what is national security?

Participant: solardog

Date: 2003-03-18 20:23:33

Since a Nation is many things, national security could also be referring to alot of different things,depending on the context of the discussion. Specifically, one could be referring to the security of a Nation as a People, or the security of the Nation as an Economy, or even the security of the Nation as its Resources, in other words, the security of its Nature. Between these three basic aspects of a Nation as a whole, there could be various sub-aspects, they would still fit some where into one or more of these three categories. Truly, it can be noted that these three distinguishable aspects of ‘what makes a Nation’ are closely interrelated, implying that each one of these aspects inherently affect the other. An analogy can assist our understanding of how these three aspects of a Nation work together as a living Whole, given that the People represent the Heart of a Nation, the Resources being the Roots of the Nation, and the Economy represents the Fruit of the Nation. Using this analogy, we can observe something about how these individual aspects work together in a sustainable way. The People are naturally the ‘Life-blood’ of what is generating the Fruits from the renewable Resources that are honored, respected and cherished above all, in order to assure Abundance for the Life-blood of future generations.
Currently, there exists a faction of our society that apparently upholds and believes that the undisputed number-one method of maintaining National Security translates into increasing the Defense (Military) Budget. ‘National Security’ and ‘increased Defense Budget’ have somehow become synonymous terms, one implying the other. The US government, as an example, is spending over one billion (that’s a thousand million) dollars every twenty-four hours into their Defense Budget, all in the name of this widely used, but unclear term, known as National Security.
Put simply, we are actively mining and harboring radioactive materials such as uranium and plutonium from the Earth, a practice which has been creating and directly maximizing the potential for one catastrophic disaster after another, regardless of how hard we try to contain or control it. This ongoing activity is extremely unhealthy for the Earth and its inhabitants, regardless of whether the expensive missiles hit their intended marks (as far away from ‘home’ as that might be). This is because the radioactive waste left over from the making of these weapons is to be consolidated and buried right ‘next door’, the Yucca Mountains of Nevada. This is a project that ‘could be’ completed as soon as 2048 (which is good a plan as any, I suppose). Yet it only deals with the currently existing amounts of nuclear/toxic waste, and does not include what we currently and further create, as the billion-dollar-a-day-plus Defense Budget rolls on.
What we do with this waste, need not be of concern to the average citizen, and we can always figure out later, or at least pawn off onto the next generations, how to deal with our garbage that has a four and half billion year ‘shelf-life’. This seems to be the attitude of our present-day leaders, “Figure it out later, go to War now”, and I cannot speak for the reader, but this honestly does very little for my own sense of security. We are Family, Ok? All of us, past present and future, is this understood? As we all know, war uses physical power, might, and intimidation as it means, and is sometimes the result between Nations threatening each others’ people, economy, and/or resources (Nature). The result of one Nation displaying its physical might, as we effectively noted during the Arms Race of the Cold War years, naturally leads to other Nations developing there own similar (or unique, yet effective) brands of weaponry or methods of attack. As one Nation increases its military strength, other Nations naturally are compelled to do the same, even if it means creating nuclear or otherwise ‘dirty weapons’, which in turn is creating a volatile situation for our entire planet. Therefore, we can clearly see (especially since the advent of nuclear-radiological/biological-chemical weapons), reflected in our present situation, the methods we have been employing in the name of National Security are NOT an effective means of maintaining the Security of a Nation, on an either temporary or long-term basis.
What is being tragically overlooked and thoroughly disrespected in our methods of maintaining National Security is the Nature and Resources of the Nation, even to the point of exhausting those precious Resources that are not renewable, and drastically polluting those resources that are renewable, such as Water and Air. Any effort to realistically maintain National Security must not overlook this aspect of the Nation as its’ Nature, because it truly is the Root aspect of any Nation. What we are currently Observing, is the priority/value system of our leaders and policy makers holding the Fruit (which naturally represents the Economy)of our Nation to be the most valuable aspect of the Nation (it certainly IS the most alluring and gratifying aspect) all for the well being and benefit of the People, to be assured. This ideology was recently exemplified by President George W. Bush (prior to September 11), when the Kyoto Protocol (an Environmental ‘treaty’) was coldly rejected for the expressed reason being that its’ implementation is a foreseen threat to the much more precious American Economy. In other words, our Economy is more important than protecting the Environment that sustains it. The effect that this priority system has on the Nation, which encourages the ongoing creation of ‘new products, drugs, toys, etc.’, is an even thirstier Economy, as the Resources continue to be degraded and/or run dry. With the help of our inflated Defense Budget, intended to provide National Security, we have been thoroughly ‘tearing out’ and poisoning our Resources, thereby seriously jeopardizing the very Heart of the Nation, as its living People, ever dependent on the Quality of Natural Resources.
This is the problem: Our government is allocating over a billion dollars a day to an undefined cause (National Security) using methods that are proven to be ineffective, in any case. Yet, if a portion of this enormous expenditure were directed toward the research and implementation of ‘alternative’/ Sustainable Energy sources, we would be doing exceedingly much for the Security of our Nation.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-03-19 13:02:27

"This is the problem: Our government is allocating over a billion dollars a day to an undefined cause (National Security) using methods that are proven to be ineffective, in any case. "

We're talking about Canada here, not the US... this is a discussion on the foreign policy of Canada. Yes, the US government is crazy to spend so much on defence, and they should spend more on the environment. But you must not live in a dream world either, having an army is a necessity, for several reasons. And Canada has ratified Kyoto and will follow through on its promises regarding the environment, I'm not worried about this.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Fleabag

Date: 2003-03-19 21:23:24

I agree with your post. The US has openly decided to serve Mammon, though, so your noble posting is somewhat moot. They have said, in effect, the economy and the dollar are the greatest 'goods'. Even though they should serve the people, it is the other way around.
There will be some great event that will come of this, be it armaggeddon or revolution. Hopefully neither, for I shall push for enlightenment. However, a day of choice looms. The current path, especially that of capitalism, inherently contains ultimate destruction. It is our choice to continue on this path to our doom, or to choose a new one that leads beyond our way of thinking.
the choice will be between the individual or all things. Which is more important? They can co-exist, for a time, but ultimately only the individual can be responsible for the continuance or destruction of both.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: banquosghost

Date: 2003-03-20 00:14:24

Karl? Is that you?

It's amazing how often I bump into you lately. I think you're right by the way, but like Woody Allen 'on death', I just don't want to be there when it happens.

I've always wondered if there was another way to consider reluctant or coerced capitalists. What do you think?

Part of national security, I am beginning to believe, has to do with the peoples capacity to have a reasonable amount of faith in what their government tells them. On any issue. Rather difficult to measure 'reasonable faith' with certainty I suppose. But still...

Someone I knew once said "The lowest form of communication is confusion." I don't remember who.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Fleabag

Date: 2003-03-20 01:00:14

"It's amazing how often I bump into you lately. I think you're right by the way, but like Woody Allen 'on death', I just don't want to be there when it happens. "

Inevitable, I'm afraid, unless your are religious and 'know' otherwise.

"I've always wondered if there was another way to consider reluctant or coerced capitalists. What do you think?"
Sheep
"Part of national security, I am beginning to believe, has to do with the peoples capacity to have a reasonable amount of faith in what their government tells them. On any issue. Rather difficult to measure 'reasonable faith' with certainty I suppose. But still... "

The 'willful suspension of disbelief' is what Hollywood is based on. The stuff works.

I believe the 'lowest form of communication' is farting.
Thanks for making my day brighter.
Karl

Répondre à ce message

Participant: moderator

Date: 2003-03-20 09:24:07

OK, now that we have had our race to the bottom ("the lowest form of communication" indeed) and have made a few skilful points along the way, could we please return to the topic of developing Canada's foreign policy.

We hope that all of the active discussants in this forum will make sure that they have answered the questions in the Minister's paper. The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade is serious about listening to Canadians, however they are far more interested in the contributions to the Minister's discussion paper. There you will find 13 questions, as many of you know. Please do answer. There are many thoughtful views and participants in the forums. The longer range issues surrounding Canada's foreign policy are harder to address than the daily news (important as that news clearly is), but if we as citizens want to play a role in shaping foreign policy, it is timely to read the paper and reply.

Meanwhile, this line of discussion can go nowhere but up, and if you two know one another and would like to continue your witty repartee, please do it privately. Thanks

Répondre à ce message

Participant: solardog

Date: 2003-03-20 02:13:38

oops, this is somthing I wrote as a sort of 'letter to the editor' intended to be read in the country where I also have citizenship. I just put in some excerpts of the original letter and forgot to revise it to apply only to Canadian readers, though the ideas still stand and apply, sorry to anyone who gets confused with the 'Our government is spending a billion dollars a day on military.."
I am SO HAPPY that Canada isn't as military bent as the US and part of what I am addressing is that the best way to address National Security(in my opinion) is to be an example of Peace and Justice. The reason WHY the US will always be on alert for attacks is because they are forceful and not humble and so far there is little to show that they care in the least about the welfare of the Earth or its inhabitants. until they(the US leaders) change their outlook on the world they live in, terrorists will always target them, and it's unfortunate for the American people that the American leaders didn't learn these things growin up in the elementary playground, because this aint no playground George! STOP TREATING IT LIKE ONE

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-20 09:25:51

Ahh!! Ok, now i agree entirely with your statement now!! War is sometimes a necessity, but it should not become the 'norm'.. It should always be an absolute last resort. And humility is something which actually make you the most powerful and respected in the world, i also agree with you...

Répondre à ce message

Participant: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-30 22:38:00

Sounds like the kind of country Canada is becoming. It would be very nice if we could just live our life like Canada is now, relatively peaceful. Unfortunately the leaders of our friends down south do not share our views. They have not signed on to the Kyoto treaty, to ban land mines or the International Criminal Court. The present government in the USA is turning very aggressive and shows an unwillingness to respect the views of other countries. I think we have to be realistic and rebuild a military for defensive purposes. I would prefer a military that is also well trained in civil defense; to assist in natural catostrophes in Canada and abroad.
It would be nice to believe that we can live without a military needed and lead by example. I think Canada is getting a wake-up call. We have many untapped resources in Canada; we must be wary; some day down the road, the USA or someother military power will wish to own our resources.

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-31 03:07:08

I agree with you, we need stronger military, and they should be able to help in case of disasters, especially in our wide country!

I seriously doubt that Canada will be invaded by an agressor one day, we may have problems with our waters (especially in the north), but i don't think we will never be invaded militarily, of course the US has already big control over our natural resources, but that is done through buying up our companies! (Canada should regulate this minimally i think, if they don't do it already...)

Répondre à ce message

Date: 2003-03-31 03:08:54

Having strong military would also make us more prominent on the world stage (along with greater foreign aid), sometimes we must act, instead of just speaking (I'm always thinking of Rwanda)...

Répondre à ce message