logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Sécurité

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Allies found them, Chemical weapons...

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-04-09 11:05:13

So you're telling me you are for the death penalty in the judicial system.

Who are we to decide on who should die and who should not??

So i guess Saddam should be put to court, and then sentenced to death, right?

There is a big difference for me in trying to get rid of someone so as to shorten the war or for strategic reasons in time of war, but its another trying to kill someone because he is 'evil'or when the war is over.

So as for killing Chemical Ali, if killing him had a strong strategic value, i guess this is part of war... Otherwise its murder.

I'm not fully against the death penalty, but i'm not for it either... since it is not for us to decide who should die and who should not.

On the other hand, when our prison system is like a club Med... I also have a problem. For me prison, for the worst offendors, should be a place where they can reflect on their actions with as little pleasure as possible ...
For those people, it should be a bit like the bread and water prisons of the middle ages (probably a *bit* less harsh, because that would violate the UN prisoners convention)...

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet

Participant: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-09 12:55:05

..."Who are we to decide on who should die and who should not?? "...

Well a police officer may.

Scenario, codc01 is in 7/11 or Mac’s store buying a bug gulp drink, maniac busts into the store with a shot gun blasts the clerk, the clerk fall behind the counter out of sight.

An officer just happens to arriving on the scene, and sees codc01 lift his head above the center isle.

Maniac levels gun at codc01’s head and pumps the shot gun to fire.

In you view does the officer?

A. shoot maniac down with lethal force to prevent codc01 certain demise.

B. Wait for maniac to blasts codc01 in the head to be legally certain of the situation?

A or B?

Répondre à ce message

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-04-09 15:47:15

I don't consider that assasination or murder, but using legitimate force for for protecting others and yourself... I would not hesitate a second at shooting, even though, if possible, i would not try killing the individual (that may not be at all possible in the heat of the moment though)...

The sentence:
..."Who are we to decide on who should die and who should not?? "...

should be applied to the justice system and assasination (should have clarified the context in my last post). As for the rest of my point of view i stand by it.

Répondre à ce message