logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Les trois piliers

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Canada's Role in International Affairs

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-15 11:27:43

What's changed is that the US has changed the idea of what is in their own interest.

100 years ago, the US was far more isolationist.

12 years ago, the US thought it could use the UN as a means to bring nations together and act in concert. As you recall, Bush Sr. was the first president to seek UN approval for its actions.

6 years ago, the US realised the UN was not going to be a place where things got done. So, they skipped it and attacked Serbia via NATO.

2 years ago, the US realised that there was a deep well of hatred that had organized into an active network of terrorists seeking mass destruction of the US. The result: a massive loss of casualties, a massive shock to the economy, and the destruction of one of the great symbols of North American culture.

Let's watch the next two years unfold.

I hope and think that Bush will push for peace between Palestine and Israel - a peace that involves "painful concessions" from Israel (in quotes, from Sharon).

I think alot of positive things will come out of Iraq and Iran.

I hope Canada wakes up and takes part in what has always been its foreign policy mission: BRING FREEDOM, MAKE PEACE.

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet