logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Conclusion: Le monde que nous souhaitons

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Root Causes

Participant: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-16 01:34:13

We cannot get busy re-building Iraq. The USA is keeping tight control on that and so far has not even enlisted any of its coalition partners to participate. I hope they are planning on spending USA money
What is your problem with the CBC. I saw no bias on that station. The National Post only printed stories supporting the war. The CNN was a propaganda machine. They were showing Iraqi prisoners held by the USA. When the USA was upset over Iraq displaying the American POW ; it suddenly quit its minute by minute televising of the action and talked like they were so restrained and saintly.
Any one who doesn't agree with your position is uninformed and biased.

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet

Root Causes

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-04-16 14:01:24

I agree, the CBC was quite objective, forget CNN (too patriotic - they mostly tell one side of the story), and the National Post (completely radical, i never thought a canadian newspaper could have such acidic editorials)...

But don't forget that Al-Jazeera is the arabic equivalent of the CNN, so they also had a strong bias - opposite of CNN.

Anyways, I thank you for putting the facts straight fatmomma.

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Participant: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 00:19:33

So you are saying that CBC News should have run the Bastard comments in times of war?

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-17 02:27:05

Why not? The goal of news is to report the facts whatever they are. I'm totally against censorship.

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Participant: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 16:30:26

I'm against censorship, but does a liberal party member (Carolyn) have a right to a private opinion without it been placed on the Canadian National news?

Particularly when a war is imminent, is the Bastard comment relevant? Is there no consideration at the CBC on how these types of comments would be used in Baghdad propaganda, a place where allied troops were working to convince Iraqis to trust them?

It is another burden to deal with during negotiations when your “friends” are calling you Morons and Bastards…. No?

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-18 08:33:54

"I'm against censorship, but does a liberal party member (Carolyn) have a right to a private opinion without it been placed on the Canadian National news? "

But thats not the problem of the CBC, thats the problem of the MP which was overheard, no? She should have kept the comment to herself, or at least to the caucus(is this the right word in English?), but since she said it publicly, then it should be reported as such... News should give the facts, even though these facts might be quite bad!

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-17 12:00:34

Actually, CNN has kept shocking secrets of the madness of Saddam's regime to ensure they have access to Bagdhad.

Also, CNN is Ted Turner's baby and to say that it is a propaganda machine for Bush is not accurate: they are democrats!

The National Post was biased, but it never pretended to be otherwise.

CBC pretends to be a media source for all Canadians. But it only represents the left-wing perspective.

(Look at Counterspin, Sunday Morning, the National, etc..)

Anyone who disagrees with me is biased. Anyone who agrees with me is biased. That's the definition of biased! :)

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-17 13:03:38

"Also, CNN is Ted Turner's baby "

Yes, but he no longer is president of CNN, so its quite possible that now CNN his republican (I'm not saying it is, i'm just saying its possible)...

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-21 09:46:37

He's still the biggest or in the top 3 shareholders...

Connie Chung and Larry King are hardly Republicans.

But I get your point.. :)

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-22 08:43:22

Connie Chung? Thought I heard she got the axe again????

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-18 00:15:50

I want a newspaper or news broadcast to give me the facts only. Editorial and opinion should be kept separate. I was
disgusted with the Vancouver Province; it gave a headline account of all the bodies that were found in the "torture rooms" in Iraq. This story appeared a day after it was confirmed that the 15 year old corpses were repatriated bodies returned by Iran. I never saw any correction for the story; if there was one it was tiny and unnoticeable. This type of newsreporting leaves many people still believing this nonsense as the truth.
I expect that kind of reporting from tabloids not my daily newspaper.

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-18 12:17:16

Only biased, when they only present one side or only give lip service to other point of view.
I want my news to be the news not editorial or opinion. That can be aired but on a separate program. Just the facts please. If there is a need for opinion both sides should be allowed to present their views.
I am finding too much opinion being presented as facts.

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-21 10:08:06

The issue is also what facts and in what priority.

Some facts don't get aired because they don't support that particular media outlets point of view - or some get buried.

I think we'll never get around the problem of blurring fact and opinion.

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-21 20:34:22

you are right on here. That is probably why we all have a different outlook on things, I have learnt to look for 3 sources before I repeat anthing. Stories change so often; others get dropped without comment when they are proven incorrect. I am sure there are lots of things happening that no one talks about. I am sure we all wish for peace so we can get on with our own life and let the politicians worry about the day to day running of government.

Répondre à ce message

Root Causes

Date: 2003-04-22 09:33:42

Look at us: complete agreement!

We all want peace and to get on with our lives. We want to know everyone on the planet can do the same.

Répondre à ce message