logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Les trois piliers

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Canada, for peace, against harmful inequality

Participant: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-12 01:16:17

If I were puting together a 'political hockey team' I would certainly have you on 'left-wing', simms. Economics and political expediency are two different animals, to be sure. When one tries to introduce values from one to another, one usually gets called names.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but only Religion, Money or Politics do the slinging".

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet

Participant: cougyr

Date: 2003-04-12 12:36:44

Sorry, Fleabag, I agree with Simms. These big trade deals have huge problems. NAFTA is a flawed document. What is hard for Canadians to grasp is that NAFTA has not been any better for US or Mexican workers than it has for Canadian workers. The problem is that NAFTA is only concerned with the welfare of trans national corporations. The really important stuff has been left out.

We need international trade deals that include protections for workers, the environment, resources, health standards, culture, the right of governments to pass local laws to protect their citizens, etc.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-12 21:30:35

I also agree with simms, as I am also a 'leftist'. There was and is nothing wrong with NAFTA as far as the US is concerned. One sided, in their favour, as usual. With regard to your last paragraph, I can only say that as much as I agree with these ideals, they are totally opposite the concerns of capitalism. Each one undermines profit, and therefore is evil according to Mammon.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-04-13 14:23:13

I am not a leftist, I consider myself center-right, and i think free trade agreements are good, as they help the world by removing tariffs. The main problem is that what is on paper never turns up to be the reality. And the litigation process is simply too long, costly and complex...

Répondre à ce message