logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Conclusion: Le monde que nous souhaitons

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-18 13:59:03

I see by the UN roles of paying members Canada leads the list of contributors paying their UN dues on time. Russia appears to be the only veto holding country to be paying their dues on time and their contribution is half of the amount Canada pays. Australia is the second highest paying on time member.Canada-34.536,208 Australia-21,966,540 Russian Fed- 16,201505.
The members paying their dues on time or at all seems to be decreasing.
Yet these non-paying members still use/abuse the UN extensively
Canada deserves a much higher role in the UN.
France, Germany, UK,and Spain usually pay but appear to be always a year behind.
How can these countries (especially the USA) criticize the UN for being ineffective when they do not pay their financial responsibilities on time.

Websites show that the American public strongly supported and wished for the USA government to pay their dues.
Any country that does not take care of their due paying responsibilities definitely do not deserve to retain any veto powers in the UN.

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-21 09:45:18

I agree with you Fatmomma. Out of this diplomatic mess we witnessed, I hope Canadians will see to it that the UN is reformed constructively.

Foremost in reforms is the funding mechanisms. How can Russia as a permanent member of the security council and economy as large as Canada, only contribute half of what Canada contributes?

That the US witholds payments is not a good thing. I wish I knew more about their position on it - all I know is that has been a problem for a while, through Democratic and Republican presidents, so there must be some long standing gripe. It might have to do with the level of contribution expected of them relative to the puny contributions of the other permanent members of the security councils.

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-27 01:30:50

A good question is what to do with U.N. members who do this?

France briefed Iraq on war: report
April 27, 2003

FRANCE gave Saddam Hussein's regime regular reports on its dealings with US officials, The Sunday Times reported, quoting files it had found in the wreckage of the Iraqi foreign ministry.

The conservative British weekly said the information kept Saddam abreast of every development in US planning and may have helped him to prepare for war.
One report warned of a US "attempt to involve Iraq with terrorism" as "cover for an attack on Iraq", according to The Sunday Times.

Another, dated September 25, 2001, from Naji Sabri, the Iraqi foreign minister, to Saddam's palace, was based on a briefing from the French ambassador in Baghdad and covered talks between presidents Jacques Chirac and US President George W Bush.

Chirac was said to have been told that the US was "100 per cent certain Osama bin Laden was behind the September 11 attacks and that the answer of the United States would be decisive".

The report also gave a detailed account of American attitudes towards Saddam amid anxiety in Iraq that the country might soon become a target of US reprisals.

"Information available to the French embassy in Washington suggests that there is no intention on the part of the Americans to attack Iraq, but that matters might change quickly," said one document from folders marked "France 2001" found by The Sunday Times.

Bernard Jenkin, defence spokesman for Britain's opposition Conservative Party, told the paper that the briefings went beyond diplomatic courtesies and pointed to French "duplicitousness".

France came in for sustained attack from Britain's tabloid press in the run-up to and during the Iraq war for opposing early military action against Saddam's regime, with the Sun newspaper notably labelling Chirac a "worm".

Agence France-Presse

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Date: 2003-04-27 16:42:09

Nothing reported here regarding anything that France supposedly relayed to Saddam that wasn't public information.
Unless there is more important top secret documentation that was relayed by France; I fail to see any problem with actions of France.
These reports appear to come from tabloid papers that often attempt to make amountain out of a molehill.
Not worth mentioning unless further more damning certified documentation is available.

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Date: 2003-04-27 19:10:50

Yeah I see your point; I should have phrased my question better.

Do you think Saddam would have been more eager to satisfy the U.N. early on if the French government wouldn't have told Saddam that the U.S. was bluffing? Could it have prevented the war? Just curious....

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Date: 2003-04-27 23:57:24

No, what I read was common knowledge; plus in my opinion Saddam was cooperating quite surprisingly well. Of course, I am comparing to getting anything done by our governments. It took 21/2 months to remove and install 6 ticket machines for skytrain here in Vancouver with people working(?) everyday almost

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-29 11:44:55

What I've read (I admit it, in the Post) was that France was:

a - passing along secrets to Saddam about US/UK discussions and information.

b - coaching Saddam on how to look like they were complying with the inspections.

I don't think Saddam was cooperating. I am glad to see him out of the picture - hopefully, forever.

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-04-29 14:13:02

I personally don't have any problems with that, i consider that very unethical, BUT, ethics has nothing to do with politics of middling and super powers...

For example, CIA helping out in the failed coup against Chavez in Venezuela...

For example, the attack on the Rainow Warrior boat of Greenpeace by French Secret Services..

For example, the CIA funding the Taliban , up until about 2 years ago...

The more powerful you are, the more twisted politics you will do to keep power.

I have no examples for MI5/MI6 though :( I'm sure there are, but i don't know of any...

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: codc01

Date: 2003-04-27 16:55:50

Why are the reports 2 years old? Thats weird, anyways, i don't have any problems with that... Its not illegal.

I have more problems with the labour MP who may have got money for his anti-war stance, and i also have more problems with the fact that the Russian embassy may have been jamming GPS signals for bombings ...

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Date: 2003-04-27 19:11:53

Yeah, very disturbing... codc01.

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Participant: 1559

Date: 2003-05-01 22:49:38

The USA wants to rule the world. This 'doctrine' was first established by Thomas Payne in the 1770's and in one form or another has endured as a plank of the US foriegn policy platform ever since.

As such the UN is irrelevant to the US. They will go around it, or through it, as they see fit, when they see fit.

Changing the structure of the UN based on who pays their dues on time is not going to wash with our southern neighbours. They snicker at such behaviour.

Canada must take a much more vigorous and proactive stance in global affairs to establish its own governance model as one that will work for all the peoples of the world, whether inside the auspices of the UN or on her own.

Répondre à ce message

Canada's role in the UN

Date: 2003-05-02 00:50:51

I agree that there are many powerful leaders in the USA that want to dominate the world at any cost. I still believe that a majority of the citizens of the USA are friendly peaceful people like most Canadians. Like many Canadians they have many citizens who do not really understand the world situation. The heavy propaganda (brainwashing) on the media has them believing their country is really only interested in "helping" these other countries. Canada should strive to better educate our citizens on world affairs. I would like to see more real news on our newscasts instead of editorials that only tell
one side of situations. Points to prove their views while ignoring the other sides point of view and reasoning.
As the old saying goes: "there's two sides to every story"

Répondre à ce message